Designed to illuminate the Hall of the Estense Castle in Ferrara Games, the chandelier of almost 5 meters high by 4 floors, with a circumference of about 3 meters, was transferred at the end of 1933 in the large communal residence hall of St. Augustine, used until after World war II as a party room.
The impressive chandelier are proposed other three chandeliers, smaller, also damaged by the earthquake, and restored by the Consortium Promovetro Murano who responded to the invitation of MIBACT to recover the tradition of glass hit by the 2012 earthquake. The restoration, went ahead three years, involved several companies in the consortium specialized in lighting and mirrors and glass and many technical experts, who have studied the mode of action most appropriate to restore life to the chandeliers. "The great Sant Agostino chandelier from Murano today represents the symbol of the will to go on, of our rebirth: nothing is lost if there is good will and love for our work, our traditions and our history ", said the president of the Consortium Promovetro, Luciano Gambaro.
The exhibition "A Light for the Emilia Romagna" is accompanied by the book writer and journalist Alberto Toso Fei that traces the history of the chandeliers of St. Augustine and the restoration activities. The exhibition at the Museum of Murano glass is made in collaboration with MIBACT, Civic Museums Foundation of Venice and City of St. Augustine, with the patronage of Regione del Veneto, Emilia Romagna Region, the Province of Venice, Province of Ferrara, City of Venice , FAI, Università degli Studi di Venezia Ca 'Foscari, and the support of the Chamber of Commerce of Rovigo Venice Lagoon. and mirrors, and many engineers and glaziers experts, who have studied the mode of action most appropriate to restore life to the chandeliers.
thanks to photos of Gianluigi Bertola